Q1. What is the purpose of the Masters of Science in Accounting (MSA) Program?
The Program provides graduates with an excellent accounting education and network opportunities for careers in professional accounting, public accounting, private industry, and government.
Q2. What is the benefit of earning a MSA?
Here are four reasons:
1. Is a mark of academic excellence that you will carry with you throughout your career;
2. Helps you be better prepared to sit for and pass the CPA exam;
3. Can result over time in a higher job classification and pay grade (in some organizations such as government); and
4. Gives you an opportunity to be a full time professor, should some time in or at the end of your career you wish to teach. (Most universities require a Masters degree for full time faculty employment)
Q3. What are the benefits of enrolling in the CUA MSA Program?
Close mentoring and advising by professors, small classes (typically 5 to 15 students), and all taught by CPAs who have a wide range of practical public accounting and business experience.
Q4. Can a student start the Program in the Spring or Fall? What are the deadlines?
Yes, you can start in either the Fall or Spring semester. For Spring semester admission the application deadline is November 15th and for Fall semester it is May 15th.
Q5. What are the requirements for completing the MSA and do you accept part time students?
You must earn an overall GPA of 3.00 and complete 30 units (ten classes) of graduate level Accounting and Business courses. These are typically completed over two semesters if the applicant has an undergraduate degree in Accounting.
Part time students typically take no more than two courses (6 units) per semester as most are fully employed.
Q6. What test scores are required to submit an application for the MSA Program?
We accept the GRE or GMAT test for admission, and take into consideration the test scores along with the undergraduate GPA, recommendations, and resume of experience.
Q7. For international students whose are not native English speakers, do you require the TOEFL and is there a minimum score?
Yes, we require a TOEFL score of at least 90 or minimum GRE verbal score of 146.
Q8. I am not an Accounting major undergrad, can I apply for the Program?
Yes, but you will have to have completed at least five Accounting courses (15 units) comprising the following courses (and earning at least a B average):
1. Introductory (Financial) Accounting
2. Managerial Accounting
3. Cost Accounting
4. Intermediate Accounting I
5. Intermediate Accounting II
Q9. Where can I find out more information?